Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Teaching the Youth of the World

What a powerful and emotional day. I have one student named Emily who was chosen among thousands to do an interview to compete to be sent by the Korean government to Washington D.C. to study abroad. I was asked to do any extra class on Wednesday's to help her prepare for the interview. Today, truly broke my heart. I asked her what motivated and inspired her. She didn't really have an answer. We talked for over an hour about her and what she wanted out of life. Then, together we came up with three short statements to help keep her motivated. She totally broke down crying when she said them repeatedly.

I am smart.
I am excellent.
I am beautiful.

Three powerful statements that we should all believe about ourselves. How my heart broke when she began to cry.... sometimes we all need to be reminded of how amazing we are.

No comments: