Sunday, February 8, 2009

T Minus 5 days

Hello to everyone! Welcome to my official blog. My online life journal about everything going on with me over the course of the next year. Feel free to drop by anytime to read posts, check out pictures from my travels, or just drop a comment to say hello. It's official! I leave for Seoul, South Korea on Friday, February 13, 2009. (I know, sigh, two days before the Daytona 500) Have no fear fellow NASCAR fanatics, I have been told there are bars I can watch the races at, alas, it may mean watching them in a bar on Monday's at 8am in the morning but I will watch them.
I decided to go to South Korea to teach ESL for many reasons. For those who don't know my background very well, I have a bachelors degree from Arizona State University in Education with an emphasis on English. I graduated back in December of 2007. Only decided recently to start teaching, however, due to the U.S. economic crisis we are in most school districts are on a hiring freeze and/or are firing current teachers. Thus, I was on craigslist one day and saw an ad asking people to come to South Korea to teach English. My interest was peaked so I decided to do some research online. I found a recruiting company that has been wonderful to me! I found an exciting new school (new being around for 3 years now) and will be the only foreign teacher at the school (everyone else is Korean, though there is one Korean American).
Anyways, after all the interviews, paperwork, and such it is finally official. No more living with my parents (love you mom and dad, but I know it was temporary. I mean come on, I did sleep on the floor for the past 4 months!haha!), no more working at the grocery store for some extra income, no more bingo nights (I'm sad to Mary!), and no more spending time with family and friends here. I'm not saying I won't miss those things, but I am on my way to a brand new adventure. One that I have prayed about for a long time and one that I am going into with my eyes and my heart wide open. Please join me on this adventure in my life as I explore my new home. My new Seoul. South Korea.

No comments: