Thursday, March 5, 2009

Just Because

So it is now Thursday night and 7:11pm. I find myself still sitting at the computer at school. Ask me why! Why you ask? (Haha) My principal seems that in order for me to fill my contract duties I have to be at school during the regular hours that school is in session. Mind you, I only teach two class on T/TH. My last class ended at 5:20pm and I have to stay here until 8:20pm. Now granted, if the Korean economy was doing better than what it is right now, I probably would have more classes to teach. Don't get me started on the economy here. One of the reason's I negotiated my contract for higher pay is because I planned on sending money home. However, it is just too depressing right now to look at my monthly conversion of won to US dollars right now. At least I know I'm rich in Korea, right?

Anyways, not much has been happening around here. I am really getting into a routine with my work week. My weekends still continue to remain up in the air, but it makes it easy to decide how I want to spend my time. Today it is cold and rainy. For those of you reading this, now would be a good time to send a care package. Haha! I need English books! If you need suggestions let me know. :)

I love hearing from all of you through your comments, emails, on facebook, and on myspace. It is hard to believe that I am one week away from having been here for a month already. Time sure does fly by when your having fun.

I do want to take a moment to write about something coming up next week. I know without even thinking about it too much that next week is going to be the hardest anniversary of my life. It doesn't matter if I was in the US or if I am here in Korea. March 13th (next Friday) will mark the one year that I have been without Grandma. Now granted she is in a much better place, and I still feel her around me. But, it just truly goes to show how fast time can go by. I no longer pick up the phone to tell her about my days. I simply bow my head and pray. I no longer write in a journal to her, because I know I can speak directly to God and he will pass the message on to her. It was around Sheena and Chris's wedding when I actually started dreaming about her and Grandpa. It must have been Sheena's special day that brought her into my dreams though because I have not dreamed about her since. I am ever thankful as always, for the time I was able to spend with her throughout my life. I know that a large part of the person I am today is because of her. If anything, this one year anniversary reminds me that life can often be short and its important to always remind those you care about how much they mean to you.

To my friends- Thank you for the way each of you have touched my life.
To my family- As I miss you everyday, I also know that I am at peace with our relationships and the love I have for each one of you.

Jesus says in the bible, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it." I spoke this quote at Grandma's funeral. It is something I remind myself of daily.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Girl,
Really enjoy reading about everything...I need your address so I can send a care package from your friends at FRYS...This week has been a little crazy..Wish you were here. People getting let go (fired) for doing very dumb things. too long to post as a comment. Sorry to hear about your Grandma, but it does get better and you know she is loving where she is at. Chat later Em.

Shannon said...

Emily:

Address to send me any kind of mail is so sweet and totally appreciated. I need your address to, so email it to me at spipes@asu.edu. Here is the mailing address for my school:

Shannon Pipes
c/o Dickinson Language Institute
3F Tae-young Bldg
732-1, Guro4-Dong
Guro-Gu, Seoul, Korea

Hope your doing great chica. I miss you bunches. Please tell Morgan to email me or sign up on the blog. I hope she's doing ok. Tell everyone hi for me.